Since 2015, Got To Get Out has grown into a community of over 10,000 adventure lovers based in Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, and around New Zealand. Many of the outdoor hiking events are offered free of charge, as part of our commitment to getting people active and outdoors.
Every event starts with a safety brief, some warm-up exercises or stretches, a circle of names where everyone gets to know each other, and discussion on plans, processes and questions. We encourage attendees to bring a food item to share with the group to build community and friendship. And along the way, we’re careful to make sure everyone stays on marked paths, disposes of rubbish correctly, and keeps natural conservation in mind.
With an average of at least eight events offered every month, there’s almost certainly an event or group for you to join – check out some of the things we do:
- #freehike – a free monthly hike led by one of our experienced adventurers or team members. These have been held in many beautiful bush walking areas around our main cities, and are often both dog and child or family friendly.
- #mustdo events – events that see us travel away or overnight/over weekends to places like Mt Taranaki, the Pinnacles, Tongariro crossing, Queenstown or Whanganui. We also do more local events such as sea kayaking, surfing, hiking, tree planting, mountain biking and other adventure activities.
- #loveatfirsthike – whether you’re single, loved up or somewhere in between, these hikes are a mix of social and exercise – perfect for if you’re on the lookout for someone special or want to have a fun outing with the special person in your life.
- #gottogetsocial – these events are all about getting to know our fellow adventurers and to make friends in a different environment (read: the pub). Here we have giveaways, plenty of fun, and it’s a great way for first-timers to meet the crew before joining hikes or other activities.
- GTGO climbing squad – it doesn’t matter if it’s your first time or you’re a seasoned climber, join the team who head to Extreme Edge in Panmure every Monday to test their skills on the variety of indoor climbing walls. Watch this space for outdoor climbing events shortly.
- International students – what better way to experience New Zealand than with a group of welcoming local Kiwis! Make new friends from all over the world, and have exciting, safe experiences around the country.
And that’s not a comprehensive list! We’re always updating our events page with new event concepts and locations, so like us on Facebook and join our adventure group and email list to keep up with the latest news and events.
Why we believe getting outdoors is important
It’s universally agreed that getting outdoors and active increases the feel-good chemicals in your brain, while helping keep you fit and healthy and connected to nature. At Got To Get Out, we’re all about encouraging this, as well as helping people meet others from different countries, age groups and backgrounds. Some of the benefits of getting into nature include that you can make new friends, learn new things, and experience all our beautiful country has to offer us in a safe and welcoming environment.
The importance of safety
- What gear you need, in detail
- The difficulty of the track
- the fitness level required